Friday, August 12, 2016
Friday, August 5, 2016
The remodel of my sewing room is mostly done. There are small things that still need to be done -- like recovering the chair, hanging pictures, etc -- but the floor it done, the walls are painted, the shelves are up, new blinds in place, and the books, fabric, etc have been put back into place. Here are some photos of the after.
This first photo shows the wall with the closet that has been turned into a small office space with my antique desk as well as some built in shelves which hold yarn, books, etc. There is a large peg board that hold gadgets, some thread, and my quilt templates. I have have a big board ironing board that fits over my regular ironing board. It needs a new cover which I plan on ordering soon.
This photo shows the wall that faces west so this blind will be closed most of the time to help keep the room cool. My sewing machine sits on an old dining table (it actually will fold out into a rectangle) that I've had since the mid-80's. I long ago took over one of my husband's draft tables to use as a cutting area and to help support my fabric and quilts as I sew/quilt. I discovered that several of my storage bins that stack fit nicely beneath it (easier to see in a photo below).
This photo is of the wall facing north. The blinds will be mostly kept open. There is a nice bookcase along this wall which holds quilting and knitting books. There are also more storage bins of fabric. My fabric hasn't been sorted by color.
This wall holds my design area made of white felt. I made sure it was twice as large after the remodel as before. I am enjoying the increased size already.
Friday, July 29, 2016
I love the way this hat turned out. It is a slouch hat knit using pattern Illilouette Hat by Jenna Swanson. The yarn is Juniper Moon Farm Herriot Heathers in burgundy. The first photo is prior to blocking. The second shows the hat being blocked over a large plate. The last is the hat after blocking.
Friday, July 22, 2016
My sewing room has been long overdue for some remodeling. The carpet and paint as you can see from these first two photos were old and dirty from living with dogs (got to love them) and time. Besides it never seemed to be a good time to close the sewing machine and take the time but currently we are dog-less as our Rusty died this past January. No more excuses.
In this second photo you can see the carpet (probably 25 plus years) was originally a pale blue. Regardless of my cleaning it got to be impossible to get rid of the dirt stains.
I have chosen a light golden yellow for the new paint. The floor is a faux wood similar to Pergo and snaps in place. My dear husband is fortunately a good handyman. We duct-taped a beach towel over the west wall to block some of the summer sun out and help keep the room cool.
The clothing closet has been turned into an area for my small antique writing desk with some shelves added for books, etc.
Friday, July 8, 2016
Blocking really made this shawl! It was knit using the pattern is Stitch Sampler Shawl by On This Day Designs. The yarn is Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio DK, the shade is Lauraville. The finished shawl measures approx 20 in X 76 in. It has a lovely drape to it.
Friday, July 1, 2016
This quilt top was pieced to donate to the Pulse Orlando Victim via the Orland Modern Quilt Guild. The information to participate in this endeavor can be found here and here. This pieced top measures 56.5 in X 67.5 in. I'll be sending backing, batting, and binding with the top. As my sewing room is being dismantled for repainting and new floor I won't be able to do the quilting. Thankfully the guild will.
Friday, June 24, 2016
My sewing room is barely in a usable state at this time as I have packed much of it up in anticipation of redoing the floor, getting new paint, and perhaps new storage. All that is too happen after we finish the remodel of the guest bathroom. So my handwork production may be more knitting than sewing over the next several months. I put the afghan aside to work on this shawl. The pattern is Stitch Sampler Shawl by On This Day Designs. The yarn is Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio DK, the shade is Lauraville..
Friday, June 10, 2016
My sister recently brought me a carry-on size suitcase full of yarn from Arizona she had found at the Goodwill store (as if I need any more). I decided to use some of it to knit an afghan. The pattern I'm using is Western Hills - The Blanket by Julia Stanfield. The yarn is a discontinued 4-ply Wool-Ease from Lion Brand in four colors -- black, grey heather, blue heather, and white. I'm using a size 6 needle.
Friday, June 3, 2016
I recently finished these two pairs of slippers using the pattern Simpliworsted Baronial Slipper Socks by Nigel Pottle. The yarn isHiKoo by skacel Simpliworsted, one in taupe (64 Totally Taupe) and the other in brown (35 Turkish Coffee). They will most likely be Christmas gifts.
Friday, May 27, 2016
I finished this quilt for a friend of mine who started piecing it for her first grandchild several years ago. I finished piecing it by machine mostly. I had to hand sew some of the corners so all the points would match better. It is machine quilted. The quilt measures approx 38 in X 50 in.
Friday, May 20, 2016
This is another small quilt I recently finished. It measures 16 in square. It is hand and machine pieced; machine quilted. I intend to swap it as part of the ALQS round 10.
Friday, May 13, 2016
I took the photo of my toes in water a few years back during a vacation to the gulf shores. I printed it onto fabric and made this small quilt. It measures 16 in square. It is machine pieced. While I machine quilted along the diagonal thin strips, it is mostly hand quilted with small circles (bubbles).